Twitter Facebook

Our Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to get the coverage that I need for my business?

We can’t give you one sweeping answer, because every industry has different requirements. However, if you talk to one of our agents, they will recommend some combination of the following:

– Commercial Vehicle Liability – $1,000,000
– Physical Damage Coverage – $1,000 Deductible
– Motor Truck Cargo – $100,000
– Non-owned Trailer Coverage – $1,000

Do interstate truckers have different insurance requirements from intrastate truckers?

Generally, interstate truckers don’t have to get any special insurance coverage. However, they do have different filing requirements (like needing to file for an MC number, IRP, or IFTA) that may have more stringent insurance requirements.

How can I get enough insurance coverage while keeping my overhead costs as low as possible?

It may seem impossible to get enough coverage for your trucking business if you’re on a tight budget. But this is what our team does best! We have experience working within any budget to make sure that everyone gets the coverage their business needs. Simply call us today and one of our agents will talk you through the best coverage you can get that will fit your monthly budget and keep your business in compliance!

If I want to keep my operations legal, what is the minimum coverage that I need?

Every industry has its own specific requirements for truck insurance, but there are some coverages that are consistent across many different industries. Liability insurance is the most obvious inclusion in this list, as it is required for all vehicles in the U.S. However, there are a variety of coverages that are not required but are strongly recommended. These include the following:

— Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage
— Physical Damage Coverage
— Trailer interchange coverage
— Primary liability coverage
— Primary liability and truckers’ general liability coverage
— Non-trucking liability coverage
— Medical reimbursement coverage

I need trucking permits too. Can you help me get those too?

Our team focuses on insurance, so we don’t deal with things like MC numbers and or trip permits. However, our affiliates do! Check out DOT Operating Authority to get everything else you need to operate, like MC numbers and IFTA registration. We also have afffiliates that help truckers with trip and fuel tax permits, IRP, and IFTA!

Will Oakland Truck Insurance still insure me if I have points on my DMV driving record?

It’s our ultimate goal to make sure that everyone has the insurance coverage that they need. Therefore, we can insure you even if you have points on your record! Thanks to our relationships with multiple insurance agencies, we can get you everything you need, and at a good price, too!

Note: contact us if you have a DUI on your record. We may still be able to help you!

I don’t know what “Unidentified Trailer Coverage” is, but I have to get it. What is that?

“Unidentified trailers” are those that you don’t personally own or lease. If you hitch one of these trailers onto your vehicle, you still need to get coverage for these trailers. Luckily, we can help you out with that!

My premiums changed recently after I filed a claim. How long will this claim affect my premiums?

Claims almost always affect your premiums for a minimum of three years.

Can I accept deliveries outside of my usual delivery area and still have coverage?

Sure! Just make sure to let us know when you get one of these deliveries. We’ll ensure that you still have coverage, no matter where you go!

Why are the two cargo insurance quotes that I got from different companies so different?

Every insurance company will charge you something different, but cargo policies are especially volatile. The type of cargo you haul, the circumstances your insurance would cover, and various other factors can cause one company to charge you very differently than another. Just make sure you know the specifics of your policy before you sign on the dotted line!

If I move out of California, will I have to cancel my policy with Oakland Truck Insurance and get another one with someone else?

We take pride in the fact that our insurance customers are located all over the country. We’ll make sure that you the insurance coverage you need, no matter where you are. Just let us know what your new address is and we’ll work on getting you switched over to your new home!

I need a tow. Does my policy cover that?

Our truck insurance policies cover towing in case of accidents, so if you’re in an accident, call your agent and they’ll send someone out! However, if your truck breaks down due to a maintenance issue, you’ll have to find someone to tow you.

How can I get in touch with my insurance agent?

Our team is available over the phone to chat with you about any questions or concerns you may have. Just call us at (510) 473-3649 and we’ll get you to your agent!